Re: [TCLUG:8559] Mail routing

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, John R. Sheets wrote:

> I'm trying to get email working properly from work here, but I'm having
> trouble avoiding anti-relaying filters.  The quick rundown of my setup is
> that I'm using a virtual domain, ravendusk.org, hosted by PC Online; my
> mailer is mutt, combined with fetchmail and procmail.  At home, when I
> dial directly into PC Online, things are fine.  But when I try to send
> SMTP from work, from our codeweavers.com domain, PC Online's mail server
> rejects it because it looks like I'm trying to relay.
>
> I've tried any number of header re-writing (Mutt is nice that way), but
> with no success.  Something is still not matching up correctly.
>
> Does anyone have any advice, or just plain background on what may be
> going awry?

Have you fiddled with /etc/sendmail.mc? This may or may not be similar to
what you are dealing with, but I'm on a dialup at home, and of course I
use a bogus DNS name to get sendmail to behave. But some systems (notably
UIUC's, where my friend is in graduate school), won't accept mail
originating from an unverifiable FQDN. So I wrote a new sendmail.mc to
relay through a machine here at the Soc. Science Research Facility at the
U. Then it was 'm4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf' and bingo. No more bounced
mails.

I don't understand sendmail very well so it's likely that I'm doing
something wrong...but I couldn't solve the problem simply editing my
headers in mutt, I had to muck with sendmail.

Cheers,
Joel