Re: [TCLUG:8666] Modem dial-up methods...

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Neal Tovsen wrote:

> Ordinarily, this works fine, but for some reason I've noticed that I
> seem to get *slightly* better performance out of kppp. It never really
> bothered me so I never looked into the modem options.

I noticed the same difference between NT and RHL Linux 5.2 on the same
system. Try tweaking your MTU (for Red Hat, in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*).

I lowered mine, since I do mostly telnet sessions and Web browsing (lots
of small, short transfers), and I noticed a small but nice improvement.

I couldn't find the 'block Compaq' option on my system though. :)

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/

  'I can't understand why people are afraid of new ideas.
  I'm afraid of the old ones.'
  -- John Cage