Re: [TCLUG:8668] Newbie opinion question

Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Nathaniel Moore wrote:
>
> > environments (KDE and Gnome are the two I know about).  I am leaning toward
> > window maker because I like the NeXT-stepish feel.  Do Kde and Gnome work
> > on top of any window manager or just a few, and do they work better on some
> > than others.  Or can they stand alone.  Any thoughts are appreciated.
>
> KDE works better with other wms than it used to, Window Maker among them.
> GNOME is generally paired with Enlightenment, which is a flaming pile of
> dung (imho). If you like Enlightenment but not the weird crashyness and
> the Sasquatch-esque memory footprint, get Sawmill (which I'm using right
> now).

Personally I love Enlightenment. I have been running the CVS version (pre 0.16)
for over a month (8 hours a day) now without a single crash. Please don't start
this into WM debate, but I think KDE is too much like windows and not
customizeable enough. But if you are coming from a Windows environment, KDE is
the way to go. Being a former fvwm2 user, Enlightenment/gnome offers me the
enough freedom to keep me happy.

> Note, however, that KDE, GNOME and CDE lock you into that one environment;
> and you'll begin to depend on apps that only work with KDE, CDE or GNOME
> installed and running. (KDE and GNOME do play nice together, so if you
> have a gigabyte of memory you can run them both at once.)

I use many KDE apps while running gnome. Although they may look a little
different, they work just fine. That's the great thing about this whole
gnome/KDE battle; Us end-users win because of all the apps that are produced.

> All three environments are huge. And for what? A graphical file manager
> that makes Windows Explorer look like an elegant gazelle? No way.
>
> Window Maker on its own is quite nice, if a little bloaty.
>
> Also look at lwm and aewm (available on freshmeat.net, like Sawmill).

Yes, try them all and choose for yourself. And if you can't choose, just run a
different WM each day.