Re: [TCLUG:8688] mack address

> > ifconfig).  If you can dual-boot into Windows 95 on this PC, you can use the
> > "winipcfg" command to get the same info.
> >

> I have been 100% Linux for almost a year now. Windows makes me cringe.
>
> So I have been waiting on setting up my IP masqurading until I get the
> new modem installed. If I get your drift I should give the mack address
> of my gateway machines eth0 then run my network off eth1?
>
> Thanks again.

> Dave Erickson
> Remove "xxx" from address to reply
> http://debian.org http://linux.org

Yes, that is exactly correct.  Also you may want to make sure what
level of security the provider is putting in.  I will see if I can
find the article that talked about the diffences between DSL and Cable,
and the main issue seemed to be the provider (surprise).

But also it is good to do your own security if you put up a server
on the internet.  Use /etc/hosts.allow to allow specific machines to
see specific daemons on your machine. Then also use /etc/hosts.deny
	ALL : ALL
	(or you can do something a little fancier).

So you would probably want to allow people to access:
	httpd
	ssh - secure shell access to your machine (versus telnet/rsh)

If you have questions on getting your machine secure/safe feel free
to ask me.  (I don't have all the answers, but I can try to help).

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Silicon Graphics, Inc.  |   |                      |       \      |