Re: [TCLUG:8688] mack address

Carl Patten wrote:

> [...]

Glad to hear that.

> > I am trying to upgrade my cable modem to the two way service offered by
> > mediaone in my area.
>
> What area?  Just curious; I've been watching this rollout with keen interest
> in Minneapolis.  Anything to bypass their crappy dial-ups!

Shoreview, just north of St Paul/Roseville.

> > However the installer said he needed my nics mac
> > address so mediaone could "know where my computer is" on the network.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can get the mac address in linux? Is there a
> > security concern? I plan on using IP Masqurading, will this cause me
> > problems?
> >
> > Originally they said all that was required was dhcp.
>
> They can configure DHCP to give you a certain IP address based on the MAC
> address of your nic.  Maybe that's what they're doing, making sure they only
> give out DHCP addresses to "authorized" PCs.  It shouldn't affect your IP
> Masquerading any, since your Linux box will still be the only one visible to
> the cable modem.  Your MAC address gets sent in all your DHCP broadcast
> packets anyway, so it's not much of a security threat for them to know it.
>
> "Quick Draw" James Raney already said how to get the MAC address (use
> ifconfig).  If you can dual-boot into Windows 95 on this PC, you can use the
> "winipcfg" command to get the same info.

I have been 100% Linux for almost a year now. Windows makes me cringe.

So I have been waiting on setting up my IP masqurading until I get the
new modem installed. If I get your drift I should give the mack address
of my gateway machines eth0 then run my network off eth1?

Thanks again.

--
Dave Erickson
Remove "xxx" from address to reply