ip masquerade and packet forwarding

I am trying to set up IP Masquerading on my Linux machine running
Debian. I have been reading the HOWTO's but I am getting lost.

I think I have the kernel setup like I'm supposed to but how do I enable
it?

Specifically, how do I enable packet forwarding in Debian? The
instructions are for Red Hat and don't seem to be accurate in my case.

"Redhat Users:  you may try changing the options in
/etc/sysconfig/network from:
      #
      #                       FORWARD_IPV4=false
      #                       FORWARD_IPV4=true
      #
      echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"

"cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" : Make sure it says "0"

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Dave Erickson
Remove "xxx" from address to reply