Re: [TCLUG:8830] Quake2 - video and mouse not working correctly

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Bob Nolte wrote:
> 2 problems:
I've had similar issues. I can't guarantee solutions but I'll give it a
shot.

>  From command line using ./quake2 +set vid_ref soft +set sndbits 32
> Video is stuck in 320x240 and can't change with with the Quake video options
> Mouse jumps and skips
> Video quality is not great. Looks like pixel depth is low.
A few things to check here:
1. Make sure your svgalib config is streamlined and working nicely. Try a
few other svgalib games out. The modelines should come from your
XF86Config file -- then you're sure they'll be at least close to right.
Make sure you know which modelines your X server is actually using.

>  From within Enlightment starting with terminal window ./quake2 +set
> vid_ref softx
> Video is greenish and only using the left half of the new window.
> Mouse works OK.
Here my guess is that you're running X at 24-bit color. That means
packed-pixel graphics = problems. Bump down to 16-bit (or up to 32-bit if
you can) and see if that helps. Do any other graphics things (e.g.
WordPerfect 8, Macromedia Flash plug-in) have the same kinds of problems?

> If anyone knows what might cause this we'd sure appreciate it. McMillan wants
> $1.50 for the 1st minute of tech support and $1 per minute thereafter. If
> it's not
> easy to fix, we'll take the game back to the store.
Lots of people have q2 running perfectly under Linux. Should be no need
for this and certainly no need to pay for tech support ;p

--Kevin R. Bullock

kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet
krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet

"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler