Re: [TCLUG:15451] Postgres/MySQL

Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > powerful though (no stored procedures).  Java is far slower than Visual
> > Basic - so this may play a part in the decision as well.  Lastly, ongoing
>
> Whowa.  Hold up here, JIT VM's are slower than VB?  Since when?

Since forever.  Try and run ANYTHING from Swing and then do it in Visual
Basic.  I challenge you to benchmark one thing slower in Visual Basic.  Visual
Basic is compiled natively since 5.0 - there is no JIT involved.  JIT still
requires interpretation and will not compile until a section of code has been
used multiple times.  Having said that - I don't like programming Visual
Basic.  I really prefer C++.  And thus, my choice of Visual Basic or Java will
always be Java, from a design and programming point of view.  However,
Business often wants the fastest, easiest and least costly solution, both from
inception and maintenance.  Java will loose on both counts handily.  Java
programmers command a higher salary and they are much harder to find.  Thus,
businesses as of yet, tend to avoid Java for the average desktop application.
This changes a little when you get on the server.

> I know the newer VB stuff is bytecode now, but that doesn't mean the
> language has a good way to do heavy computation.

No, it is not just bytecode - a java class is bytecode.  Visual Basic is
compiled native code.  I assume that is what you meant to say?  Yes, it can do
heavy computation if you know where the Visual Basic inefficiencies are.
Creating instances of classes in Visual Basic is very slow - because it
actually uses COM.  Things like that.

A more commong solution is to put the computing into COM servers which are
written in C++.  That is where I get my income most of the time. :)

Java has a way to go - but it is a good way.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net