Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

And this, too:

---------------------- Forwarded by Nick T. Reinking/HOMEOFFICE/SUPERVALU on
04/03/2000 02:57 PM ---------------------------

chrisp@dusk.bitstream.net, on 04/03/2000 02:48:55 PM
To: Nick.T.Reinking@supervalu.com @ PMDF
cc:
Subject: Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

Another for TCLUG. I should re-join pretty soon. Sigh.

> danield@bitstream.net, on 04/03/2000 12:37:02 PM

> > * Possibly web-based configuration system
>
> as an _alternative_, not a necessity. If I want to circumvent the
> web-based system, it should not be like pulling teeth.

Yes, the idea is to make it not hurt traditional text-editor-based
configuration methods.

> > * Standard locations (woo!) like /var/app/ for logs and /etc/app/
> > for configuration files.
>
> um. there _are_ standard locations. The problems are where distributions

I think Nick meant `consistent'. The ports-like system will have packages
that use our way. If you want to put files somewhere else, well either
tweak the configuration from the port or get the original maintainer's
tarball. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing whatever they want.

> don't follow standards. There is a filesystem heirarchy standard already
> in place that is quite good. It's not great, but it's good; the important
> thing is that Linux standardize on _something_, even (with reservations)
> if it sucks. I know there is some frustration over where things are put,
> but the answer is _not_ to branch off and make a new distro that has yet
> other weird places to put things (and believe you me, even if you think
> where you put things is fine, it's "weird" to somebody). The answer is to
> make a new distribution that _is_ standards-compliant.

Well, originally, this was my own personal project for me only. Now Nick
wants to play, too, which is great. I still regard all use of this
putative distro as volitional and for the fun. Frankly if someone finds
something weird, well screw 'em. This is a fun-time experiment, and my way
makes sense to me.

I intend to do some very non-standard things. I live in an ivory tower and
I like it--but my doors are open to all. :)

--
  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com

  `There's no one here...and people everywhere.' --Bjork