Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

        this discussion is really interesting. I like it...

>help(1) would detect that you don't have an HTML reader and convert to
>ASCII instead, then run that through less.
        how would it detect that you don't have an HTML reader?
        what if you had some "uncommon" reader (Amaya, Gzilla, Xemacs, or a
renamed executable)?

>Also, standard man and info
>aren't going anywhere, don't sweat that.
        I'm not worried about them going anywhere; my usual gripe is that
they aren't complete enough. :) I know why things are the way they are (lack
of time and impetus); but it doesn't mean I like it. :)
        that said; yes I know, if I don't like it, get off my butt and do
something about it Myself.

side note:
        whatever happened to our scheme to write a man page for Xwrapper? do
we want to try that again at this TCLUG meeting?

>>         how about some sort of "database" of information that a web browser
>> could query; and be linked to all these information resources on the local
>> system; and, if allowed, information on other systems?
>That's the idea.

        could you expound on this idea more?

>The LSB is incomplete and largely meaningless. I already read their spec,
>it was a waste of paper.

        ok, point taken.
        I hope it gets better, tho...

on the whole, the points that I'm seeing here; don't really justify a new
distribution... merely new/improved tools for existing distros. perhaps our
time would be better spent on those, and let others worry about building the
whole distro.
        however, if it's just Your Project for Yourself... go have at it,
have a blast. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091