Re: [TCLUG:15481] Faeriedist

>>From what I understand, /usr/share (and /usr/local/share, /opt/share,
>>etc) is supposed to hold platform-independent data.  I think it would be
>>reasonable for a distribution to decide to put it's documentation in
>>/usr/share/doc, but it has to be consistent (in that case, it would
>>make  sense to make /usr/doc a symlink to /usr/share/doc)
>
>I think this is another bad idea.  After all, who decides which data is
>platform-independant?
        I have to agree here. why should I even *care* that something is
platform-independent? I want things organized by what they *do*; not by
where they come from or where they go.

on a slightly divergent note:
        would it make sense to put man pages under /usr/doc (as
/usr/doc/man/man?/)? it *is* documentation; and if you wanted to recursively
grep through *all* your docs (including man pages) it would make a lot of
sense to put it there.
        IMHO, /usr/share/doc is a poor idea, which splits things
unnecessarily from /usr/doc.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091