Re: [TCLUG:15483] One more thing on Faeriedist...

> kbullock@ringworld.org, on 04/03/2000 08:04:04 PM

> First, a question about this distro: What/who's it for?

Good question. When thinking it up, I had three people in mind: me and my
friends Randy and Scott, software developers who want to get work right
away in an environment that is as frictionless as possible. NEXTSTEP is
the ideal.

Toward that end, I had the help system idea, the consistent and
simple/simplistic file system layout, and a minimal set of packages
(basically, one and only one of each class of application). Lots of
pre-configuration. Make the source to each package integral to the system,
to blur the line between user and developer.

Where the standard is less good than something a monkey could think up, I
intend to break with standards without a second thought. Example: lose
Sendmail, lose inetd, replace with qmail and tcp-server. Sometimes the
non-standard thing is simply better. (Remember, this is for me, and
interoperability is not a big concern.)

--
  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com

  `There's no one here...and people everywhere.' --Bjork