RE: [TCLUG:15708] Killing Dual Boot question

That works except in the case where Linux is on a logical partition within
your extended partition.  DOS/Windows95 FDISK will see it's there but can't
delete it.  You'll need to use Linux fdisk (or PartitionMagic, can't say
enough good things about the 5.0 version! Costs money though.)

But first of all, before you do ANYTHING, MAKE A WINDOWS START-UP DISK!
Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs, click the Startup Disk
tab.  This contains recovery tools that can CYA in case of a screwup.
Changing partitions is inherently risky.

Here's the steps I use:

#1: make that boot disk.  Back up the PC if possible.
#2a: If Linux is on a primary partition, use DOS/Windows FDISK to delete
that partition.  Be sure you are only deleting the NON-DOS partition.
#2b: If Linux is on a logical partition, use Linux fdisk or another tool to
delete the partition.
#3: While in FDISK, set the Windows partition active.
#4: Boot into Windows.  If Windows won't boot, use the recovery floppy.
#5: At the command prompt, FDISK /MBR .  This kills LILO.
#6: Run FDISK, recreate partitions in the empty space where the penguin once
nested (sniff.)