Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

Had Mediaone. Switched to Onvoy (covad) 768K dsl.
Mediaone is very fast but the bandwidth is very unstable. While downloading
ISO's i would jump around from 40 to 150K. And Quake gave jumpy ping rates.
When i download ISO's now i get between 70-80K all the time.
(Tested against ftp.cdrom.com)

I also heard that they block certain ports (80), although i didnt test this.

From my personal situations i found the following to be true:
If you dont need steady, reliable bandwidth and want the potential raw speed of
the Mediaone bidirectional connection, go for it.
If you want rock steady bandwidth that wont have the same raw speed potential
(unless you pay alot) then i would try for DSL.

But I am guessing you dont have the DSL option. In which case, Cable is better
than ISDN or multi or single 56k.