Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

I still need to put up my MediaOne and Linux page. Look through the list
archives. ;) Basically, yes its perfectly Linux compatable, though
you'll probably have to tell the guy on the phone you have a windows
box. People have had good success negotiating with the actual
installers... I dual boot, so I just disabled LILO and let the guy
install it in windows myself. ;)

> Had Mediaone. Switched to Onvoy (covad) 768K dsl.
> Mediaone is very fast but the bandwidth is very unstable. While downloading
> ISO's i would jump around from 40 to 150K. And Quake gave jumpy ping rates.
> When i download ISO's now i get between 70-80K all the time.
> (Tested against ftp.cdrom.com)

I had a severe problem with this a while back, yeah. Seem to have been
fixed. Been kicking a lot of ass at Counterstrike lately. YMMV. ;)

> I also heard that they block certain ports (80), although i didnt test this.

I have yet to encounter anything like that...