Re: [TCLUG:15761] End-Users (was:Re: [TCLUG:15722] Docs in 'share')

> >The end-user
> >expects the software to work right the first time, and expects the
software to
> >dictate how it is used.
>         this is what worries me about computers... that most people treat
> them like magic, don't understand how they work, and want to have usage
> (rather than possibilities) dictated to them.
>         some people worry about computers taking over... I think the way
> that's most likely to happen, is when people continue to expect the
computer
> to do the thinking for them, and don't learn how things actually work.

I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect their computer and
software to work the way it's supposed to without them understanding what's
going on behind the scenes. That's the kind of relationship I have with my
truck, and we've been getting along just fine.

I think computers should hide more of their innards from the user. Setting
up an internet connection should only take one click, there should be little
help movies included with software instead of man pages and help files, and
if there's some kind of failure there you should get a listing of local
computer service shops instead of a blue screen of death.

People like you are the ones that'll make sure computers won't take over the
world, just like the CDC makes sure Ebola doesn't wipe out the country.

That's my two cents on the matter.

Chad Juettner
http://www.inhale.org