Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

> I'm getting mediaone cable service installed tomorrow (saturday morning)
> i've talked to them many times and i agree that their customer service
> people don't know much.  I asked a guy, richard, if there was any service
> agreement at all, he kept saying there wasn't.  I then talked to a tech
and
> he emailed me them.  There is no way to find them on the web unless you
are
> already a mediaone customer.  I guess it is on their internal web sites.
> They do block ports. Specifically 67,68,137,138, and 139.  I believe these
> ports have to do with M$ file sharing and netbios.  But as one person
said,
> you can call in and have them disabled, but you have to sign some contract
> saying that you understand what can happen by opening these ports (or
> something like that).  The ip addresses are assigned dynamically.  There
is
> no possibility for static ips.  One tech told me this is to reduce the
> amount of web servers, etc.  Right now they aren't switching ips often if
at
> all.  He said that they will soon implement dhcp leases that expire in a
> month even if your computer is on constantly, and in the future weekly
> leases.  Which also means that they don't like servers.  I'm wondering if
> anyone has this service and had a problem with them detecting running
> servers?  I don't think they would do anything if you weren't using much
> bandwidth.  Eventually i plan to use a linux box as a firewall but right
> now, as i am a linux newbie, i wouldn't know how to do it.  Has anyone had
> success with this, any tips on it (besides reading the howtos)?
>
> Enough for now.
>
> Jeff Lehman

Right now (within the past week, roughly) my IP has been changing every 12
hours or so. The user agreement states that you can have multiple computers
hooked up through a NAT, but when it is set up it can't be that way, and to
get any tech help, you'll have to disconnect it from the rest of the
network. I haven't used it quite like a firewall, but use it for general ip
masquerading which I would guess also firewalls.

Mathew