Re: [TCLUG:15784] GIMP, HDs, and HUGE images

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> I've got a mere 200mb free on /home, so I've easily hit it a few times
> before tracking the problem down and moving swap over to a windows
> partition with a few GB free. :P

Fwiw, I too have run into this problem with the GIMP before. It seems to
me like it's trying to do its own swapping, rather than letting the kernel
take care of it (hello, that's what kernels are for). Now, I could be
wrong, since I haven't ever read any of the GIMP source. But, they could
be emulating Photoshop in this regard--which would be silly since
Photoshop does its own swapping only because the Mac OS kernel's memory
management is brain-dead.

Maybe Shawn Amundson can clarify things for us?

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : innerfireworks.com