Re: [TCLUG:15773] RHat, Suse, Mandrake hmmm which to buy

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Robert Sinland wrote:

> > \protect{\begin{editorwarfare}
> > I'm gonna plug Emacs here (probably XEmacs), because it does a lot of fun
> > GUI-type stuff, including being able to build within the editor, and yet
> > doesn't lose the hacker-feel. ;p And it does syntax highlighting, etc...
> > \end{editorwarfare}}
>
>   I, though currently somewhat "out of the loop"
> as far as coding goes, would have to agree.
> Out of the loop as I haven't coded anything
> in about or year or so, but when I did code
> I used Xemacs almost exclusively.

I expressed the following opinion at work yesterday and was ridiculed by
everyone except the other coder. :) The best IDE is...the text console.

ALT+F1: your editor of choice, with multiple buffers
ALT+F2: repeat of F1
ALT+f3: a shell, with your favorite weapons grep, wc, sed and cat at the
        ready
ALT+F4: a shell, with your pals the Perl debugger, the Python interpreter
        or GCC and GDB on-hand
ALT+F5: IRC, so you can waste some time goofing off
ALT+F6: mpg123, so you can confuse and distract yourself

Remove 5 and 6 as the deadline approaches. I modified /etc/inittab on all
my Linux machines to give me 11 virtual consoles, using F12 for X. (I
often have my .xinitrc set up to launch just Netscape filling the screen,
no wm).

I like this setup because there is no crap like window decorations, icons,
titlebars and the like that get in the way. The text is huge and readable
by even the blurriest of eyes. No distracting mousing. Just pure,
beautiful text.

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : innerfireworks.com