Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne

Just a quick note about my Time-Warner RoadRunner. It's a lot faster. Friday
night I DLd
a 312mb zip file from my brother's computer in Seattle using FTP. I was
getting close to
600 kbs. The guys that setup my RR said that Media One is a totally
different system.

Here's a bit from the Time-Warner site on speed.
http://help.rr.com/repository/624/e106_rr_how_fast_is_rr.html
Just how fast is Road Runner?
      A number of factors determine the speed of the data as it goes from
the cable company's servers to the customer's computer. The cable modem
delivers up to 10 Mb/s over the network, but the device with the slowest
throughput along this path determines the effective speed. Typically, this
is the PC bus and/or video display. For example, a top-of-the-line Pentium
will receive data in excess of 4 Mb/s. Road Runner can deliver up to 10 Mb/s
to a computer through the 10base T Ethernet interface.
      The upstream bandwidth (from the PC to the system) is up to 2 mb/s.
Because users require far more bandwidth downstream (reading web pages,
downloading files, etc.) than upstream (largely "mouse clicks" and file
requests), the two directions can differ in bandwidth. Data bandwidth is
shared from the neighborhood node to users in individual homes, so
performance may vary depending on how many customers are actively using the
system at any given time. The system has been designed to offer worst-case
bandwidth exceeding that of ISDN service, and that assumes continuous,
maximal usage by every Road Runner user in a neighborhood simultaneously.

      In addition to speed, Road Runner offers three great advantages over
dialup data access: The connection is available immediately (in contrast to
dialup services that require lengthy initiation routines), it stays live as
long as the customers likes, with no hourly usage fees added to the base
cost, and it does not tie up a phone line.

Bob