Re: [TCLUG:15736] MediaOne (fwd)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Jason Jorgensen wrote:

> I know telnet/ssh/ftp worked for my two way modem, but not for my one way
> modem. But i didnt check to see if any ports were closed.
>

> Tim Neu wrote:
>
> > Question for you MediaOne'ers (and ex-MediaOne'ers).
> >
> > With a cable modem, do you get assigned a private IP address, or a valid
> > public IP address?
> >
> > I.e. if you have a linux box on mediaone's network, and you know its IP,
> > can you telnet/ssh/ftp/etc to it from the internet?
> >
> > I, too cannot get DSL.. (funny, since I do have ISDN currently) - however
> > I need a connection that I could use from the outside world as well.

Whoops, sorry Jason, you'll end up /w 2 copies of this...

I haven't verified it but it seems to me the only ports blocked are for
smb (can't use smbtool to connect to shares at work).  It would make sense
since without it being blocked systems/shares would show up in network
neighborhood for everyone in the same subnet.  We had some of the same
problems rolling out DSL in the original bridged mode.  I imagine they may
have ports used for Apple sharing blocked as well.   From what a co-worker
who also has mediaone told me you can call thier customer service line and
have them remove it.  But that's all hearsay. :)  I run a web server, mail
server, ssh/telnet, etc. with no problems behind an IPmasqed DEC multia
w/ port forwarding.

 --
James Raney