Re: [TCLUG:15784] GIMP, HDs, and HUGE images

>Fwiw, I too have run into this problem with the GIMP before. It seems to
>me like it's trying to do its own swapping, rather than letting the kernel
>take care of it (hello, that's what kernels are for). Now, I could be
>wrong, since I haven't ever read any of the GIMP source. But, they could
>be emulating Photoshop in this regard--which would be silly since
>Photoshop does its own swapping only because the Mac OS kernel's memory
>management is brain-dead.
        the problem with letting the kernel do the swapping, is what happens
when you need to swap 300MB to disk; and when you first configured the
machine (1 year ago, before you were doing GIMP graphics), you only gave it
a 64MB swap partition? :)
        I always thought that was why Photoshop did it's own swapping; to
keep from overloading the OS swapfile.

can GIMP be configured to use a "raw" partition for swapping? (like dbases do?)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator    307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA	        Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com      (763) 682-1091