Re: [TCLUG:15784] GIMP, HDs, and HUGE images

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         the problem with letting the kernel do the swapping, is what happens
> when you need to swap 300MB to disk; and when you first configured the
> machine (1 year ago, before you were doing GIMP graphics), you only gave it
> a 64MB swap partition? :)

Good point. I do believe there is a way to use a file on a normal
partition as swap. That should be part of GIMP's setup, if it's going to
require that.

>         I always thought that was why Photoshop did it's own swapping; to
> keep from overloading the OS swapfile.

Not a problem on Mac OS and Windows: they use files on the a normal
partition for their swap.

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : innerfireworks.com

Necklaces sends out subversive signals.
beware.
alien attacks?
-- d93kp