GTK+ and RPM

Read on ONLY if you are strong enough to brave the stupidity that
is...RPM.

I saw a cool prog on freshmeat.net, grabbed the tar.gz of it and went to
town.  ./configure stops because of gtk.  Seems that when it runs
/usr/bin/gtk-config --version it gets back 1.2.1, however it's found
GTK+ 1.2.6 on the system.  Okay, no problem.  I rpm --erase
gtk+-1.2.1-10.  Oh, I'm sorry, that would break dependancies with
gtk+-devel-something-or-other.  Alright, don't need that, let's erase
that one.  Sorry again, gtk+-something-completely-different relies on
gtk+-devel.  Alright, erase that.  Sorry,
gtk+-something-completely-different isn't installed here.

WTF?!

So I decide to just force it.  Nope, you can only forcefully install and
upgrade, you can't forcefully REMOVE things (no, that would just be too
nice...).  So I decide heck, I'll just install gtk+-1.2.7.  Whoops!
That relies on glib something or other, which won't install because
it'll break everything else.

Why!!!  I just want the fscking program.  So what do I do to fix all
this?  for whatever reason when gtk+ got upgraded from 1.2.1-10 to 1.2.6
it didn't replace gtk-config because it still reports itself as 1.2.1.
Something seems to be slightly foobar'd with /var/lib/packages as it's
reporting packages that are installed, but aren't.

--
Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator