Re: [TCLUG:15841] 3 Newbie Questions

1) Sorry, I can't help you with the Floppy...
2) Gimp Uses A LOT of RAM, I started using COL 2.3 with a PII 233, 64MB RAM,
and it ran fine, except when I used GIMP and STAR OFFICE.  I recently upgraded
to a PIII 600 with 128 MB RAM and everything works GREAT.  I would suggest a
RAM upgrade, other than that, I'd need to know which option pack you installed,
if you're a newbie, I'm assuming you installed the "Full Installation" package?
 Am I Right?
3)All of the drivers for that particular Network Card are already on the HDD.
Go into COAS (from KDE) and select Network>Ethernet Interfaces.
The system will scan your PCI bus using Plug and Play (if the card is PnP
comp.) and COAS will install all the drivers for you .

Any questions, feel free to email me either personally, or through the
newsgroup.

Eric C.

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, you wrote: > I just installed Caldera
OpenLinux 2.3 and am very new to Linux.  I have > three questions that I hope
will be easy to answer: >  > 1.  I installed from my CD-ROM drive so my floppy
was not used in the > installation.  When I mount a floppy disk, I can see the
contents, but > if I try to open anything on the floppy (or even copy files to
or from > it) my computer freezes.  Do I have something configured wrong or is
my > floppy drive bad?  Is there some way I can unfreeze it?  (I tried >
Ctrl-Alt-Del and Ctrl-Alt-F1.) >  > 2.  I have 64 MB of RAM and a 450 MHz AMD
K-6 processor.  I am using > KDE.  When I use the Task Manager (or free) to
monitor how much RAM I am > using, I see that I am using about 56 MB of RAM
when I have no > applications running.  If I try to open any application, it
seems to run > very slowly (I assume because it is using swap RAM).  Is 64 MB
of RAM > enough for basic operation (using KDE with StarOffice and GIMP)?  Is >
there something I can do to speed things up?  Do I have KDE > misconfigured in
such a way that it uses too much RAM? >  > 3.  I now want to install a 3Com 905
10/100 NIC card.  How do I find out > the required software drivers/packages to
install?  Are these packages > on my OpenLinux CD? (I hope so because I cannot
get my floppy to work, > see #1 above)