Network newbie Q

Ok, kids, I'm hoping this is an easy question for a couple of gurus:

I have a boatload of old machines and am making baby steps into
networking.  I got Caldera 2.2 to install on the first machine (the one
that has the CD-ROM), and am now trying to bootstrap linux onto the other
machines via an NFS install.  Right now, I've just got two machines both
running honest-to-Pete NE2000 NIC's through a little D-Link hub.  I have
even gotten the first machine (ontario.rephil.org 192.168.0.1) to ping the
card of the second machine(erie.rephil.org 192.168.0.2).  I also used
'rlogin ontario' to "remote" login on the first machine, so I'm pretty
sure that everything is copacetic with the net stuff on that machine.

Using Caldera's install (the old LISA, non-graphics method, since these
are ancient EGA/VGA video cards), everything goes swimmingly, until the
point where it tries to access the NFS mounted cdrom.  It checks that /mnt
isn't locally used, but when it tries

 mount -t nfs -o ro 192.168.0.1:/mnt/cdrom /mnt
 (in the script -- I spec the remote directory)

I get a "Permission denied" error.

I have the following in the /etc/exports file on ontario:

/mnt/cdrom	*(ro)	;I have also tried
/mnt/cdrom	192.168.0.*(ro)

When I change this, I use the /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs {stop|start} file to
make sure the daemons have the correct files at their disposal.

I have nothing at all in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny, which (if
I'm reading correctly) should mean that anyone can get access to the NFS
services.  I know it's not a good way to run, but right now I'm just on
the "workbench."

Can anyone suggest (or even better:  tell me definitively!) how to make
the new machine see the files on the distro CD?

Thanks,

Phil M

 --
Life is complex: