RE: [TCLUG:16017] Dedicated Linux e-mail servers: good experiences, anyone?

> When you say "simultaneous users", do you mean 50 accounts or 50 people
> simultaneously retrieving their mail?

50 people simultaneously retrieving e-mail.  They're addicts :)

> If you mean 50 accounts, you will
> be fine with pretty much any box you have left laying around, as long as
> you run a nice lightweight MTA like qmail.  I certainly wouldn't even
> consider spending the cash for something as spiffy as a NetWinder or Qube.
> Unless appearance is more important than cost...

Hey, cute counts, but I'm more interested in improving performance on our
main app server by moving the disk-banging e-mail to a separate box.  I'll
have to look closer at qmail.

> If you're talking 50 simultaneous POP sessions, then again stick with a
> nice lightweight MTA and just pile on the RAM.  64 should be more than
> adequate.
>
> In either case, I don't see any reason to spend the cash on a brand name
> box when local mail tends to be such an undemanding task.

The other reason I discovered to avoid name-brand is that they have a
tendency to yell "warranty void" if you do stuff like install a different
MTA.

Thanks for the input!

--
Carl Patten