Re: [TCLUG:15927] NeXT -changing root password

Shawn Brezny said:
> Stumbled on to some info on reseting the root password
> on a NeXT Station
> computer.
> http://www.peanuts.org/faq-serve/cache/311.html
>
> Hope this helps.

It did.  Resetting /etc from the templates directory as the page suggested
failed to restore the machine to a virgin(ish) state, but I found a set of
defaulty config files in /etc/etc - whether the machines templates had been
moved or I got the command for copying them wrong, I can't say - and moving
them up to /etc got it working.

For those who were curious about more details, it's a 25MHz 68040 with 16M of
100 ns RAM and a 660M SCSI disk.  The OS identifies itself as NeXT Mach 3.2
and I have 3.0 and 3.1 install media.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this thing running and to those who
seemed interested in the project even if they couldn't offer any suggestions.

Now to go see if I can get networking cleaned up on it (i.e., ditch BOOTP and
give it a static IP so it can talk to my other boxen) before the SGIs come
and I get to start the process all over again...

--
The Shortest Windows Manual:  "Turn off the power switch."
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K