Re: [TCLUG:16161] vendors

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Joseph Heil wrote:
> Anyone have any experiences with any of the big name pc vendors( ibm,
> dell,compaq,gateway except VALinux) for purchasing production level Linux
> machines?   I already have 2 VA boxes and want more.  :)  Thanks.

I did a install recently on 3 P3-500 Compaq Proliant Rackmount servers;
they were nice, but didn't install anywhere close to as easy as the VA
boxes. Some annoying things were the fact that you had to use their GUI
off the bootable cd (it loads a hacked up version of winblows 95) to
configure RAID arrays and such; quite painful compared to just entering
Mylex's BIOS.. and, of course, considering the price (they were around
$8000/ea for a P3-500, 256mb, 3x9gb in RAID), it's not that great of a
deal. I also set the client up with one VA box (lower price for a dual-p3
600 fullon 2x2 with a gig of ram; just missing the RAID controller and
one drive..), and now they are saying if they had known about VA, they
would have gone VA for the first box, too (they already had the 3 compaqs
ordered when they came to us.)

--
Nate Carlson <natecars@real-time.com>   | Phone : (952)943-8700