Re: [TCLUG:16161] vendors

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 10:52:45AM -0500, Joseph Heil wrote:

>Anyone have any experiences with any of the big name pc vendors( ibm,
>dell,compaq,gateway except VALinux) for purchasing production level Linux
>machines?   I already have 2 VA boxes and want more.  :)  Thanks.

We buy only Dell servers and Workstations here at work. I am really fond of
thier service, and the prices we get on our corporate account are pretty good
too. The hardware is all Linux friendly (Except the soudncard on my new
laptop) and I have had nearly no problems installing debianon any of them.

The one problem I had had to do with the debian install disk, it was loading
too many scsi drivers and was confusing thing, I found a better boot floppy
(one deigned for my scsi controller ) and all was well. Dell uses good
hardware and thier tech support rocks. If you need to replace some parts they
send out immeditely.

Our poweredge 6300 has the coolest hardware accessability I have ever seen,
tripple power supplies, hot swappable PCI cards and the totaly cool scsi
backplane. They make it easy to add RAM and CPU's and there is more airflow in
that case then a windtunnel. I get goose bumps whenever I take the side of the
case off. Admittedly the only reason I have taken the case off is to show it
off to people. I have had no problems whatsoever.

--

Ben Lutgens         651-623-6162
Sysadmin / IT Consultant