What is the deal with ms-tnef attachments?

According to this site:

	http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19981102-1.html

application/ms-tnef attachments hold bold/underline/font/color info, but
I am getting email attachments from an exchange user with their file
attachments wrapped in this crunchy (or binary) ms-tnef crap. I can cut
the crap out if the attachment is a text document, but it is a little
harder with a MSWord .doc formatted attachment. I think the Exchange
guys are "forgetting" (or is this extending?) how to do regular MIME
attachements. Am I wrong? What's the deal?

--

Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?
						-- Stephen Wright