Re: [TCLUG:16527] U of M connection strangeness

Jim Crumley <crumley@belka.space.umn.edu> wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems with your U of M dial-up from Linux?
> When I tried dialing up with my usual script and pon this morning,
> it failed.  The script got past its usual username, and password
> lines fine, but then died after trying to do the protocol
> handshaking.  This same script worked on Wednesday.

Yeah, I've been having problems too.  Lots of spontaneous hangups
(theirs, not mine), busy signals, auth failures, you name it.  It's
almost enough to make me want to get a *real* ISP!

> I saw some lines mentioning PAP and CHAP in the handshaking
> part, so I used pppconfig to make some scripts that used
> CHAP and PAP.  Well, it turns out the PAP one worked and
> the CHAP one did not.

I didn't know the U required PAP or CHAP anything.  I've been
using a pretty brainless chat script until recently, and even
that still works with some patience.