Re: [TCLUG:16545] Partition sizes?

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 andy@theasis.com wrote:

> First, I strongly recommend a separate partition for home directories --
> or any other trees where you will be building up personalized or project
> data. If necessary, you can more easily reinstall the entire OS around it
> (even switch distributions), and never have to rebuild the home (or
> whatever) stuff.

Hence my fusion of /home and /usr/local/. But, I personally would never
trust any installer to not wipe the partition. This means you'll be making
a backup anyway, so you might as well go for the simplicity and
non-run-out-of-space-ability of the giant / method.

> Second, if you have a big drive (>1024 cylinders) you can save yourself
> the potential for hassle by making a ~/boot partition, (below 1024th
> cylinder)  to keep kernels in. The caveat there is that I don't know how
> natural this is in non-redhat distributions. But maybe you have a small
> drive, and don't need to worry about this; I forget.

As I understand it, and I could be wrong about this, the only thing that
matters is that the / partition begins somewhere below the 1024th
cylinder.

--
Christopher Reid Palmer : innerfireworks.com