Re: [TCLUG:16545] Partition sizes?

> Hence my fusion of /home and /usr/local/.

Yeah, OK... I get what you mean now. However, having /usr/local/home/andy
or whatever is just weird   ;-)

> But, I personally would never
> trust any installer to not wipe the partition.

I'm into paranoia too, but never used an installer that didn't make me
specify which partitions it could use.

My own paranoia also doesn't like >2G partitions. Maybe that's not
rational.

When it comes down to it, it's not so important anymore.

> As I understand it, and I could be wrong about this, the only thing that
> matters is that the / partition begins somewhere below the 1024th
> cylinder.

I'm sure my understanding is at least as fuzzy as yours, and it suggests
that boot files must be entirely below 1024, which means if you have a
really big /, and write a new kernel at the end of it, you're SOL. I
believe this is the motivation for RedHat's /boot directory (which
confused the hell out of me after I'd been using Slack for a while).

Andy