Re: [TCLUG:16728] installing Debian

The fastest way is to install from a DOS partition. Therwise make all the
boot floppies (it's fun...really) or get the base via network share.

First off, what you need is at:

ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current

If you're going to install from a DOS partition:
Get base2_2.tgz, drivers.tgz, install.bat, linux, and loadlin.exe from the
dosutils directory. Shut off you computer and do a clean boot to dos.
(Safe Mode Command Prompt Only, I only suggest this because my NIC
wouldn't install under linux after running windows. It was odd.)

cd to where ever you downloaded the stuf and run install.bat. Keep in mind
that you will most likely have to manually mount your DOS partition after
the installer starts.

Floppy install: make sure you have lots of good floppies.
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/
Get every .bin. get rawrite2 from the ../dosutils directory. run rawrite2
from a dos prompt. Make all disks. Have fun.

For the network share you just need the rescue, root, and driver disks and
a NFS share with the same files as the DOS partition method. Good luck.