Re: [TCLUG:16719] The NVidia license

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Jason Jorgensen wrote:

> If not then we shouldnt complain. If we want nVidia to continue to make
> seriously quality products they cant just release specs and code for all to

Matrox seems to do fine with their g400, and soon to be g450 products.
They release specs, ati might release specs.

I dont care what people say,  I will *not* install a binary only kernel
driver.  Binary only drivers are *evil* and can in the end only harm the
consumer when a new line of kernels comes out, but the bin-only source
wrappers cant deal with them.  Also, how am I not to be sure that someone
can't hijack the module from userspace and do lots of nasty things?

Why support obscurity and closed development on hardware?  Why do gurus
work on utah-glx like nuts?  Because they like it.  It brings them closer
to how opengl and the hardware works.

How can you lose when theres game developers also giving active input via
source contribution?  It can only help to further my experience as a game
player.  With OpenGL/OpenAL/SDL and utah-glx and other opensource
components, the game developer knows *exactly* what they are dealing with,
right down to the level of abstraction they are comfortable with.  With
directx, you might program for a bug in one version, and find later that
you have to patch to support another version.

--
Scott Dier <dieman@ringworld.org> #nicnac@efnet 612.301.0265
http://www.ringworld.org/  finger:dieman@destiny.ringworld.org

Wait. Watch. Wonder.