Re: [TCLUG:16811] Hung Port

Ben Kochie wrote:

> did you try it? what distro/version/kernel are you using with this system
> (btw.. if you are posting this kind of problem, you should include this
> info in the original post)
> one thing to remember, there are allways exceptions to the rule, with
> people involved, bugs happen.. but I'm fairly sure this one is correctable
> without dumping the box and rebooting.

Sorry about that.  It is a stock RH 6.1 installation. When I replied, I
did not have access to the box to try it.  When I trying to clear this
problem this morning I had looked/studied at all the netstat commands
listed in "Linux in a Nutshell" and was talking from memory.  Obviously,
I spoke in error.  I ended up rebooting the box.  The long-running
process I did not want lose went belly up on me.  For future reference,
can you clear a port in this condition?  One of the Sun sysadmins stated
that on Sun Solaris, you can't without rebooting the box.  Does the same
condition exist for Linux?

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is
no woman around to hear him... is he still wrong?