Re: [TCLUG:16882] SGI Indy dead-on-arrival protection

> From: ^chewie <chewie@wookimus.net>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 08:34:12AM -0500, David S. Cargo wrote:
> > Certainly this approach has problems (extra cost, extra shipping,
> > storage of systems, ownership details), but the issue of how to
> > handle DOA boxes has not been addressed so far as I know.
>
> Not to mention either 1) Appointing a crew to test run each system
> before distributing them to the masses or 2) Deciding who would store
> the boxes and for how long before selling them off if the DOA's don't
> happen...yet keeping them long enough to insure that everyone has at
> least done more than put the Indy in a corner somewhere without
> powering it on or testing it.

Well, since these machines seem to be delivered without operating systems
installed, I don't see a way to test run each system without installing
Irix (or Linux), which, to me, means an installfest.

Personally, if the seller is guarenteeing that they all work, then self-
insurance is unnecessary.  But I don't know if that's the case.

I would rather spend $185 + 5% and know that I'm going to have a system
that works than spend $185 and have to worry.

dsc