useful things: dialup script

In case anyone cares, here's the script I currently use to dial my modem. (RedHat 6.1, using wvdial, probably not very portable).

#!/bin/sh
# goes online, checks connection speed, hangs up if speed is too low, and retries.
MINSPEED='28800'
FALSE='0'
TRUE='1'
GOOD='0'

while [ $GOOD -eq $FALSE ]; do
  GOOD=$TRUE
  /sbin/ifup ppp0
  CURSPEED=`grep CONNECT /var/log/messages|tail -n1|awk '{print $7}'|cut -c1-5`

  if ! [ $MINSPEED -le $CURSPEED ]
  	then /sbin/ifdown ppp0
	GOOD=$FALSE
  fi
done
echo connected at $CURSPEED

#make sure all queued mail is sent.
/usr/sbin/sendmail -q

this seems a bit kludgy, tho. can anyone think of a better way to do it?
I had to chmod /var/log/messages to be group-readable to make this work.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises