Re: [TCLUG:20209] useful things: dialup script

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> this seems a bit kludgy, tho. can anyone think of a better way to do it?
> I had to chmod /var/log/messages to be group-readable to make this work.

Find out who sends the line speed message (I assume it is pppd) and then
find out what that programs syslog facility (kern, mail, user,...) and
severity (info, alert, crit,...) are for this message. In
/etc/syslog.conf make a new entry using the facility and severity found
and point it at a new file (/var/log/pppmessages or something). chmod
that file and pull line speed entries from it. This still is less than
ideal, security-wise, but you could use logrotated (or cron) to delete
this file on a regular basis.

I don't know if this is worth all that work, but it might be a fun
exersize. :-)

Troy

--
Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536@tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
Sponges grow in the ocean... that *kills* me.  I wonder how much deeper