Re: [TCLUG:20319] Programming Perl, 3rd Edition

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 04:37:52PM -0500, Troy A. Johnson wrote:
> Perl Book Buying Folk,

Guten tag.

> Does anyone have this yet?

Yup, just got it today, in fact.

> What do you think of it?

It looks exactly like the 2nd ed., but the camel's not so faded and the
pages aren't as wrinkled :)

> Any good reasons a person with the 2nd Edition should get it?

I'm not sure yet.  The biggest thing I've noticed so far in perl 5.6 is
that a lot of functions that you could pass a list of args to, no longer
take a list of args.  So far I've discovered this unusual behavior with
undef() and rmdir().  Not sure why they changed that.  Other than that, all
of my scripts still work. I really wish books had changelogs.
According to the preface, the book is entirely reorganized.  My advice is to
go to your nearest BN and read the preface and skim through the book and
see if it's worth it.

> Any of those reasons good enough to impress a person's wife?

If I had a wife, I'd ask her.  You may want to buy her something nice at
the same time you by yourself the book :)

Gabe
Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp@acm.cs.umn.edu

"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of eegnorance astounds me!"
							- Ren Hoek in "Marooned"