Re: [TCLUG:20324] Redhat workstation blocking tcp/ip requests?

Mark Theiste wrote:

> I am having a problem trying to make tcp/ip requests to tcp/ip servers
> located on a Redhat 6.2 workstation.  This machine is configured on the
> network (it can make requests to the internet via a router) and has an FTP
> and Interbase database server installed on it.  Whenever I try to make a
> connection to it, even on the same box, via TCP/IP, I get messages that
> mostly say the connection was "actively refused".  I'll admit to being  a
> Linux newbie and then ask, does anyone have any ideas about what is blocking
> the request and how I could remove the blocking?  Thanks in advance to
> anyone with any ideas and also for your patience.  I have been looking at
> this issue myself for too long now and would really appreciate it if someone
> can tell me what I need to do.  Thanks!
>
> Mark

By default the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny should be empty
which will grant access to any and all clients.  You may also want to
check your entries in the following files:

/etc/inetd.conf should have an entry for spawning the ftp server looking
something like:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a

/etc/services should have two entries for ftp (data and command ports)
that look something like:

ftp-data        20/tcp
ftp             21/tcp

You may also want to verify that the server applications are installed
(the in.ftpd file listed above).  I've run into a situation where inetd
could not find the server to spawn after getting a request on the
specified port, but I can't remember what the error message was on the
client side.  Good luck.

--
Seth Bernsen
Software Engineer