Re: [TCLUG:20305] Package formats (was: Re: suidperl)

> > Anyway, later I notice sendmail is running even though I uninstalled it.
> > Turns out it didn't delete /mumblebin/sendmail since its in the tgz as
> > sendmail.new, and is mv'd over any existing version by the install
> > script. Slackware doesn't seem to have any *un*install scripts...
>
> How did you uninstall it?  The removepkg command would have been the proper
> way.  Also, you'll prolly want to comment out the sendmail part of the
> initscript that starts it (I think it's rc.M, or something). It could be
> that they don't have an uninstall script for sendmail.  You may want to
> crack open the package and take a peek.  If it's simple enough, write a
> little uninstall script and submit it to them.

Used pkgtool.

Sendmail binary is nuked now so rc scripts are no problem.

Near as I can tell slackware's package management system doesn't even
allow* for uninstall scripts. It just looks at what was in the tar file
and nukes whats listed. Which leads to stuff not being deleted when the
install script messes with things...