Re: [TCLUG:20355] have disk with win95

Larry Greenwald wrote:

> Windows will not boot from anything other than the master drive on the
> primary controller (hda).

Sure it will, it just has to think It's booting from the primiary
master. The lilo.conf would look something like this...
(Let's say that linux is on the primiary master, hda. Windows is on the
primiary slave, hdb. Zip and cd-rom are on the secondary controller.

---

/dev/hda=0x80
/dev/hdb=0x81
#/dev/hdc=0x82
#/dev/hdd=0x83
boot=/dev/hda1
root=/dev/hda1
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
map=/boot/map
vga=normal

image=vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

other = /dev/hdb
  label = win
  table = /dev/hdb
  map-drive = 0x80
    to = 0x81
  map-drive = 0x81
    to = 0x80

---

This method has it's ups and downs. On the upside, if you reinstall
windows, it won't overwrite your mbr, most likely making your system
unbootable until you stick in a boot/rescue disk.

On the downside, installing windows from a cd-rom or bootdisk is
dificult because the drives don't get remapped when you boot from
anything other than the hard drive. I keep the win98 cabs on my windows
partition so I don't have to bother with it. Have fun.

--
        \\\|///
      \\  - -  //
       (  @ @ )
----oOOo--(_)-oOOo--------------------------------------------
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132
21801 Industrial Blvd       | (FX)  763-428-9126
Rogers, MN  55374           | (PCS) 612-306-6055
---------------Ooooo------------------------------------------
               (   )
      ooooO     ) /
      (   )    (_/
       \ (
        \_)
begin:vcard
n:Zbikowski;Andy
tel;cell:612-306-6055
tel;fax:763-428-9126
tel;home:763-591-0977
tel;work:(763)-428-9119 (ex.132)
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.ltiflex.com
org:LTI Flexible Products
adr:;;21801 Industrial Blvd;Rogers;MN;55374;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:andyzb@ltiflex.com
title:System Administrator
x-mozilla-cpt:;18528