cable modems and linux

Does anyone have advice for setting up a cable modem under linux?  I've
tried and failed several times, mainly because Redhat uses pump instead of
dhcpd.  I've tried setting up a dhcpd client with no luck, simply timeouts
when it goes for an IP.  I'm looking at getting a cable modem but since
there's a Windows box nowhere to be found in my apartment, I can't get
that working and then switch over to linux once the tech leaves.  I need
to be able to plug the cable modem in and get it working so the tech
doesn't start blaming me when it doesn't work (been there before).  Any
advice?  I went to techrepublic.com as someone had suggested but I
couldn't find the HOWTO.

-Brian