Re: [TCLUG:20572] Color Depth changing in XFree 86

> I looked into the problem a little more and it turns out that the
> xservers shipping with most commercial Unixes don't have this
> problem. They do allow multiple color depths.  (Take a look
> at the output of xdpyinfo on Linux and compare it to the output
> from a commercial Unix.)  This is one of
> the reasons that the application (IDL) has gotten away with
> having this bug so long. So I added my name to a petition to fix this
> problem for Linux users.

This is usually a feature of the framebuffer hardware on unix
workstations, PC video cards don't tend to support such a thing, though
faking it in software can't be that hard...

Anyway, can't find any docs on it for Xfree 4. Is it just me, or is it
impossible to find docs for X in general. I want to know about XTEST,
xinerama, DGA, XFree86-VidModeExtension...