ld.so.conf problems

I was looking around on my k6 (mostly) mandrake 7.0 system and noticed
that /etc/ld.so.conf had:

/usr/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib

but no mention of the /usr/i586-glibc20-linux/lib directory and since I've
got a 586 and (I think) am using glibc, I thought it would be worth trying
to put that extra line  in my ld.so.conf. I did and ran ldconfig and then
my system became useless. Typing ls gave:

[lueyb@localhost lib]$ ls
ls: /usr/i586-glibc20-linux/lib/libc.so.6: no version information
available (required by ls)
ls: /usr/i586-glibc20-linux/lib/libc.so.6: no version information
available (required by ls)

Why did this happen? How can adding ld.so.conf lines mess up basic
libraries? (aren't they in /lib?) I finally booted of a rescue disk and
undid my damage, but shouldn't I be using glibc for a 586 and not libc5
for 486 libraries? What exactly does ldconf do?

Perplexed,

Ben