Re: [TCLUG:13238] cloning machines

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Here's a quick question about cloning (or duplicating) machines.
>
> I'd like to create an image of a HD and save it on my server so I can
> easily upgrade or install Linux on a bunch of little 486s in short order.
> I know that the RedHat Kickstart program will automate installation, but
> I'd like to go one step easier than that.
>
> These machines all NFS-mount /home from the server. Obviously, I need the
> 'dd' command, but I'm not sure how to proceed to create the image, and
> further, how to install the image once it's created. I don't have room to
> save the image (even with compression) on the local drive of one of the
> 486s. How would I create remotely then? Would someone give me a swat with
> the clue stick?
>
> -Tim

Hmmm... easiest way I can think of to do this would be to set up a tar'd
copy of the working system on a NFS server, and then make a boot disk that
would create partitions on the disk (and make differences in the sizes of
partitions for different drive sizes and such), mount that NFS share, and
then tar xfv it to / (and run lilo, of course)... if all the drives are
the same make+model, you could just dd if=/dev/hda of=/path/to/mounted/nfs/hd.img,
and then dd that right back to the new machines.

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700