Re: [TCLUG:13347] DB Wars

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Scott wrote:

>      My current design has two db's, one for customer
> account information and the other containing parts for the
> machine.  The customer db will probably have three tables,
> the parts db will have 20+.  Most of what I figure will be
> done is select and insert, with a few updates and alters
> possibly thrown in.  What I'm most interested in is
> performance of Sybase vs. MySQL and features Sybase might
> have that could prove useful.

You can check out MySQL's crash-me web program at:
http://www.mysql.com/crash-me-choose.htmy

This will tell you about the features you're looking for. Right off the
bat, I can tell you that Sybase will have transactions, which you may find
necessary. I believe Sybase also has sub-SELECTS which are inordinately
useful, but slow and not necessary. I can't point you in the direction of
any hard numbers, but everything I've read about MySQL says that it is
*fast*, moreso even than most of the commercial databases (which is why it
_doesn't_ have transactions or sub-selects...).

Unless you're doing some hard-core ecommerce, I think MySQL will probably
satisfy your needs.

Luke
(MySQL user :)