Re: [TCLUG:13347] DB Wars

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 06:40:34PM -0600, Scott wrote:
>      I'm presented with a choice of db's to do the backend
> of OpenBoxen's site in, and I'm interested in some opinions.
> It's been narrowed down to either MySQL or Sybase, and MySQL
> is the one I'm more familiar with.  Does anyone have
> anything to say about Sybase however which would suggest it
> to be the better option?
>      My current design has two db's, one for customer
> account information and the other containing parts for the
> machine.  The customer db will probably have three tables,
> the parts db will have 20+.  Most of what I figure will be
> done is select and insert, with a few updates and alters
> possibly thrown in.  What I'm most interested in is
> performance of Sybase vs. MySQL and features Sybase might
> have that could prove useful.
>
> Scott

MySQL is pretty damn cool.  It all comes down to transaction
support.  I wouldn't worry too much about the subselects -
it can be annoying, but it's not too critical.  Another thing
MySQL lacks is stored procedures.

If you are using Java or Perl, it's easy to switch to something
else in the future.  Transitioning you code to using the new
features will be a pain, but you don't have to rewrite everything
if you don't want or need to.

I'm currently using MySQL pretty heavily with JDBC (in Apache
JServ on Solaris) and it performs exceptionally well, especially
after I figured out how to do connection pooling properly.

-Shawn

--
Shawn T. Amundson                       amundson@eventloop.com
Research and Development                http://www.eventloop.com/

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking